Home buyers, sellers, real estate agents, and listing websites across the US recently faced significant challenges due to a cyberattack targeting Rapattoni, a software and services provider that offers Multiple Listing Services (MLS) to regional real estate groups nationwide.
The attack on August 9, 2023, left homebuyers, sellers, and real estate agents unable to access essential information and use the services offered by MLS platforms. This meant delays and difficulties in completing real estate transactions, affecting the overall functioning of the industry.
This incident highlights the increasing vulnerability of online platforms and the importance of robust cybersecurity measures.
Here are five measures that can help businesses of all sizes prevent a cyberattack:
1. Robust cybersecurity infrastructure: Businesses should have robust cybersecurity measures in place, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and encryption protocols. Regular security audits and vulnerability assessments can help identify and address potential weaknesses.
2. Employee training and awareness: Team members should receive regular training on cybersecurity best practices, such as strong password management, recognizing phishing attempts, and avoiding suspicious email attachments or links. Awareness programs can significantly reduce the risk.
3. Two-factor authentication (2FA): Two-factor authentication adds an extra layer of security by requiring users to verify their identity through a secondary method, such as a unique code sent to their mobile device. This can help prevent unauthorized access even if login credentials are compromised.
4. Regular software updates and patch management: Keeping systems updated with the latest security patches and software versions is crucial. Outdated software can contain vulnerabilities that hackers exploit to gain unauthorized access.
5. Data backup and disaster recovery plans: Regular backups of data should be performed and securely stored offsite. Additionally, having a well-defined disaster recovery plan helps ensure quick restoration of services in the event of an attack or system failure.
6. Security assessments: Businesses should conduct security assessments to ensure their systems and networks meet adequate security standards.
The cyber attack on Rapattoni is an eye-opening example of the need to keep your security measures up-to-date and robust. It serves as a reminder that no organization is immune to cyber threats, and proactive steps must be taken to protect sensitive information. By investing in the latest cybersecurity technologies, conducting regular risk assessments, and implementing comprehensive security protocols, businesses can safeguard their systems and mitigate the potential impact of cyber attacks. Prioritizing security is not just a choice, but a necessity in today’s digital landscape.
OIT is a leading IT provider and Modern Office Methods company. Services include Managed IT, Managed Cybersecurity, Microsoft Office 365 Services, Cloud Services, IT Consulting and IT Projects.